Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sweaters for the babies


Apparently the baby cow and the baby horse were cold this morning--can't blame them. It's been quite chilly here in Salt Lake City. We even got some snow flakes yesterday.

The kid, who's four, has his own knitting needles and yarn, the plastic blue and red kid's needles with kitty heads and some Paton's Classic Wool. He asks to knit, and even did a couple of stitches on the baby horse's blanket, but he loses interest very quickly. Which is fine, although if he actually did pick it up, I think knitting would be great for his fine motor development. Mostly, knitting is something we play with together. I love that his imagination turns a tiny garter stitch rectangle into a blanket for the baby cow.


Knitting continues on the Dummy Spring Things. I'm
at 219 stitches and about 39 inches across. I'm not sure
if I'll need to increase the number of pattern repeats to get a proper wingspan. I'm still having fun, though!

5 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you think your son would like "Beady Buddies" They are kits of pony beads and laces and instructions to make various animals. It's not knitting but my son used to like making them when he was five. It got him used to following instructions (I would read them out to him), picking out the right number of beads of the right color and stringing them correctly helped with the fine motor skills. The leg parts were quite complicated but in pairs so we would do one each at the same time. They are quite quick to make and you end up with something he could give as a gift or attach to his backpack.

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Katherine Of It All said…

    How cool that you can share knitting with your little man. He's still young--who knows where he'll go with it as he grows. I wish sometimes that I had learned to knit when I was little--how great a knitter would I be today? Or not--maybe it would never have caught my fancy until I was an adult anyway.

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger erin said…

    Monkey has the same knitting needles! He has yet to show any interest in using them, but having them keeps him away from mine :) I love that your little guy will do a stitch or two!

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have been "playing" knitting with my 6 year old niece for a year now. She can either wrap or move the needles but not both. Her attention span is also short lived. It might take a few years but that scarf we are making together will sure be fun when it is done! I wonder what the right age is for kids to REALLY learn how?h

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love it. We have a small washcloth that the boys use in the kitchen from grammy. I wonder if my hurricane would like knitting too? Maybe this year-round school does has its benefits, we could have a knitting class then I might finish a project again, not just because you made me even though I still had yarn. . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home