Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Three Wishes (Not The Yarn Shop)

I know, this is supposed to be a knitting blog. It's been forever since I posted any actual knitting content, but I ever since reading Jacquie's blog this morning I can't resist the temptation to do her Three Wishes meme.

Here are my three wishes:

1) World Peace without tyranny.

2) Morons may no longer hold elected office anywhere. I am also thinking that all world leaders might need a comprehensive review of 20th Century History before taking office. Maybe taught by Howard Zinn? I realize this is undemocratic, and I feel a little twinge, but not much of one. It's just a wish, right?

3) For #3 I am leaning towards a) Universally available clean water, or b) Mutual Respect. Would mutual respect bring clean water to all? Also am considering a provision by which mean people's mouths would spontaneously be superglued shut...But I'm pretty sure that's covered by Mutual Respect.

Am now considering all kinds of Monkey's Paw-type scenarios in which my innocent wishes breed tragedy...I realize they're dictatorial wishes. Is that bad karma? It's certainly arrogant of me.

Back to the Knitting:

1) Brought the "Wheew" socks to Kansas and Arkansas on vacation, but I didn't finish them. I'm too attached to them to want them finished. What is it about knitting socks? They're so soothing!

2) Learned a VERY COOL thing last night at SnB. Most (better) knitters already know this, but I didn't. You form the long edge, that is the top edge, of triangular shawls by casting on just a few stitches at the center and increasing at regular intervals. This magically forms a long straight line! I've always assumed that if you cast on a few stitches you'd be working on the point, not the long straight part. MAGIC! Thanks, Susan!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for your three wishes. I totally agree with all of them - especially number 2. If they read some history you would hope they would try to avoid doing the things that caused the bad things to happen and we might be headed towards number 1.

    Number 3 - I think if we had world peace and no morons in charge then that could well lead to clean water for all as well as mutual respect.

    The only other time there was a wish for water that went wrong was the story of the Sorcerer's Apprentice! I can't imagine how the other wishes could bring anything but good!

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, that's just ONE way to create a triangular shawl. You certainly can cast on at the time and increase from there until you bind off the long, top edge. You get a triangle either way.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Country Girl said…

    Thanks for your Birthday wishes. I was just telling my Mum this morning going through her knitting magazines, that I've only really managed to knit scarves :) She's much better than I, though. Thanks again!
    xox

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger margene said…

    Honestly...I thought #2 said mormons...I was all for that, too;-)

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger karenthecomputerwife said…

    I kinda thought #2 said Mormons too--had to go back and re-read it more carefully ;) It was so fun to meet you at Teri's today! Your Cherry Martini yarn is so pretty. Be sure to post pics of Granny Martin's shawl in progress!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home