Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

No picture yet,

But you can imagine it. I'll download it as soon as my dear husband and household tech support manager clarifies what exactly I have to do to install Picasa, or whatever new picture software we're going for. We had a wee hard drive failure last week, and I'm not 100% back yet. Still using webmail, no photo software, no bookmarks...It's annoying, but not catastrophic b/c my darling man has recovered all the data.

Anyway, imagine the scene: I've got a great shot of Silver (who's currently draped across my shoulder and chest like a furry purring stole) sitting up next to my new knitting book. He's bigger, a handsome kitty adolescent. I had a whole blog post planned around the shot. Silvie looks like he's King of Cables, and the new Melissa Leapman book about cables looks fantastic.

I bought the book with a B&N giftcard my dear mother in law gave me for Christmas. Why? Because the sweaters looked cute AND they come in BIG GIRL SIZES! GO, MELISSA! I don't know if I can convey my feelings about this without sounding negative about my shape, so bear with me here. I don't actually hate myself or my dress size. Of course I'd be healthier and live longer if I lost 80 pounds or so, but I don't hate myself.

I do hate that it's hard to find plus-sized knitting patterns. I'm a size 2X-3X, not the biggest woman in North America by any stretch of the imagination, but plenty large. You'd think more knitwear designers would recognize that by doing a little more math, they'd be able to sell more patterns!

Of course I could size up the patterns myself, but it's just kind of insulting to give your money to someone who implicitily doesn't want it. So Melissa Leapman, THANK YOU! I bought your book because the patterns come in my size! THANK YOU, MELISSA!

8 Comments:

  • At 6:31 AM, Blogger erin said…

    Lucky girl, that book has some seriously inspiring photography.
    And my coldolences about the hard drive failure. I'm glad you got all your data back.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't seen that book yet - I'll have to take a look. What did you think of Big Girl Knits?

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Stitch-n-Snitch said…

    Everyone deserves to be able to find stylish clothes in their size, whatever that may be. Glad your hard drive is on the mend! ;)

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    I wanna know if the clothes in the stores actually fit ANYONE, and if so, who? I'm too tall for regular slacks, and most "tall" slacks don't come in small enough sizes. (Obviously manufacturers equate "tall" with "big".) I have friends who have to shop in children's sections because they're too small even for the petites, or because their shoe size is so small. And of course, finding attractive and stylish clothing for plus sizes is no picnic. But I guess there must be some women who fit into all of these off-the-rack clothes without altering them. Bitches.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger eliza said…

    I can't wait to see the picture of you and Silver. It sounds adorable. (I have a theory that the internet is just a big place for everyone's cat pictures and not much else :) )

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always got ticked off at places I felt were "sizist"--like Abercrombie and Fitch. The largest size they sell is a 12. Anyway, I guess that goes for knit-wear designers too. I am glad you are happy with your new book though--I will have to check it out.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We love every bit of you girlfriend and don't forget it. :>

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think there are some fabulous designs in that book. And I find it hard to believe you could lose 80 pounds and not disappear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home