Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mmmmm


Crepes for breakfast? Must be Mother's Day.

I have to admit ambivalence about Mother's Day as a holiday. My own Mom died when I was in high school, and I didn't have kids until my mid-30s. I still feel a sensitivity, a discomfort, about the holiday, and a great deal of sympathy for those women who are left out of the fun.

I'm very comfortable with sleeping in until 9:30 and having crepes for breakfast, though. That man of mine, he can cook!


In other news, I've just about finished the leg of my Sock Class Socks. Notice anything? Why, yes, that is the Super Nova yarn. In the end, I couldn't put it down. I admit the kind of sock might have been more attractive in a solid color. This yarn also caught on the kitty-chewed section of my needles, snagging it in an unattractive way. A less splitty yarn would have stood up better to my newly-damaged needles, and I knew it at the time. In the end, I just couldn't put the yarn down.

My basic "design idea": a sock with a fold-over lace cuff and a picot edge.

What I'm doing so far: Lativan Twist Cast-On, two inches of Lace Rib from Barbara Walker #1, purl a turning row, turn the sock inside out by pushing everything down towards the middle, wrap and turn, start knitting the other way while reversing the ribbing, decrease 10 st, and knit 3" of ribbing. I'm now ready for the heel flap, or whatever groovy new heel I learn in the class.

What I've learned so far:

1) Latvian Twist Cast-On ROCKS. I have a hard time learning new techniques from books--can't follow the diagrams very well--and I would NEVER have understood the directions without the demonstration. Check out how it makes a twisty rope. Very cool!

2) Check out how the purled turning row scallops because of the lace pattern. A lovely surprise.

3) Folded lace cuffs are kind of bulky. My ankles are also kind of bulky, you do the math. The socks are still pretty, though.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it's fantastic! And the yarn reminds me of all the yummy veggies at a farmer's market.

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    That Latvian Twist cast-on was really neat, wasn't it? I'll definitely have to use it some day. Your sock is looking pretty nice!

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Katherine Of It All said…

    It looks beautiful!

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Leslie said…

    The lace looks so yummy! I just love lace socks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home