Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Monday, October 29, 2007

No Knitting, but some cooking...

I really haven't knit anything since finishing the wee baby sweater--I've got a touch of carpel tunnel or something that's bugging me so I'm resting the old wrists.

I did cook some good chicken last night, though. My husband was pretty effusive with the praise, so I thought I'd "publish" the recipe here.

Chicken Breasts With White Wine Caper Sauce

Makes: enough chicken for two adults and one preschooler

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts
1 T olive oil
small amount of flour
salt and pepper
dry white wine, a wine good enough that you'd want to drink the rest with dinner. I used a cheap but respectable chardonnay.
1 or 2 T heavy cream
1-2 T capers

Flatten the chicken breasts by putting them in a large Ziploc bag or similar, then whack them with a the bottom of a heavy skillet until they're both the same thickness, around 1/4". Put maybe 1/8 c or less of flour on a plate, and salt and pepper the flour generously. Dry off the chicken, if it's wet, with a paper towel, then dredge the chicken very lightly through the seasoned flour.

Pour the olive oil into a heavy but NOT non-stick pan. Heat on medium high. (I have a gas range which runs pretty hot, so adjust for your own). When the olive oil shimmers, but before it smokes, put the chicken in the pan. Let it cook undisturbed and uncovered until it's got a nice deep golden brown crust. Turn it over, pour 1/4-1/2 c wine in the pan, enough so the wine completely covers the bottom of the pan maybe 1/8" deep, cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until done, which is 170F. Because you're adding the liquid, you can overcook this a little and it's still fine, which I discovered when I realized my meat thermometer was set to Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. When you check the chicken, if all the wine is evaporated you can add a little more to the pan; don't let your pan dry out. You will want enough wine to end up with enough sauce to pour over the chicken breasts, maybe 1/4 cup.

Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the cream and capers (drained), and stir to release any tasty brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Taste for seasoning, mine needed pepper but not salt. Cook the sauce until it's come together and thickened nicely, maybe a minute.

If you've got picky picky toddlers around, pass the sauce separately. Otherwise, artfully pour the sauce over the chicken.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger Eileen said…

    Sounds great! I will try tonight, have all the ingredients.

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Katherine Of It All said…

    "Cheap but respectable." That's how I think of myself.

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Windybrook Spinner said…

    I hope your wrist problem clears up. My strained rotator cuff was awful, but I guess it was good for me to have a forced break from knitting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home