Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Heartbroken

I'm so sad I couldn't make it to see Debbie Stoller tonight! I am going to whine for a minute or two, ok?

My girlfriend, who knits but couldn't go, offered to watch the kid (my man's on a business trip). She lives up up up the hill from me. I dropped my boy off at 6:25, then skidded most of the way down the hill on my way out to the main road. The ABS engaged and everything. I didn't fishtail, but the sensation of not being able to stop while braking firmly freaked me right out.

I then turned right around to pick the kid up and take him with me, as the road's only getting worse, but I was too freaked out to leave right away. It took me half an hour or so of very pleasant conversation for me to calm down enough to get back in the car. My girlfriend advised me to put the Subaru in gear 1 and go like two miles an hour. I still skidded on the steepest part, but I was able to make the turn to get back to my house safely.

Just had a purely medicinal dose of alcohol, but I am still pretty freaked out.

Three people passed me on the way down the hill. They must all have better tires than I do, as one of them was another Outback.

I'm very sad about missing you grrls at the library.

One bonus: I am no longer envious of the houses with the "real view".

5 Comments:

  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Cheryl S. said…

    We missed you - but yes, the roads were slick. Downtown too. I just walked to the library instead of driving.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger Katherine Of It All said…

    Yikes! I had to go to the hubby's company holiday party. It was very sucky since the entertainment was an easy-listenin' jazz-type band, and there was no dancing, just sitting and listening (or snoozing).

    Glad you got back up the hill okay.

    You and me and the certain babysitting girlfriend gotta go get tea!!!

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is one of the major major drawbacks. They can never leave the house. This is the way I trying to justify being a "low lander from way up North". Because we didn't break the bank by buying the beautiful house with the gorgeous view. We can actually go out to dinner and enjoy life. We don't have to sit home and look out the window eating Top Ramen as our only entertainment. Not that I don't miss being able to see all the beautiful lights and just in general being a peeping tom. Another time.
    Lets enjoy our little subaru's and give her a nice pat and say thank you for doing your best and getting me home slowly but safely.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Windybrook Spinner said…

    I don't actually have your email address, so I am responding to your comment here. I have already washed the hat and blocked it because I wanted to treat it the same way I will treat the sweater before I really measured the gauge. When is the SnB anniversary party? I know Margene has mentioned it on her blog, but I don't have any details. Things have been so crazy for me lately that I haven't been keeping up with SnB so much unfortunately. Thanks for reading my blog.

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    From one Subaru driver to another--I disagree on the low gear for snow driving. It torques up your engine and gives you too much power under the wheels (I know that sounds like I know what I'm talking about but I prolly have the words wrong). Anyway, I'd stay in Drive and just go as slowly as you need to to not slide (or slide minimally). I love the Subaru in the snow but the hills are sometimes unmanageable regardless.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home