Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Scientific Sock Data


Since it looked as if I had an unexpectedly large amount of yarn left over, I asked my man to weigh the completed Fixation peds and the leftover balls of yarn on the mass balance at his lab. I knew he'd do it; practically the first thing he did after we got married was weigh his wedding band down to the thousandth of a gram. I know, he's adorable!

He "weighed" them on a Mettler Mass Balance, accurate to the 10,000th of a gram, and not dependant on STP for accuracy. I asked him specifically about STP, because Susan mentioned that yarn was weighed at the temperature and pressure wherever the mill is, and we're at very high altitude here in Salt Lake City. Good news, fellow nerds: apparently if you use a mass balance, STP is irrelevant. So I know, down to the 10,000th of a gram (or 100 micrograms, if you prefer) how much yarn I have.

You say you can't wait? Well, I have 24.9697 grams of ball A, and 25.8403 grams of ball B, for a total of 50.8100 grams remaining. The peds themselves weigh 26.5907 g and 25.0154 g, total of 51.6061. So that's almost enough to make another pair of the same size, and certainly enough to make a pair of child's socks, or a pair of peds for someone with short, skinny feet.

By the way, this means I started out with more than 50g per ball. But I don't fault Cascade Yarns for their generosity. Maybe they didn't have a Mettler Mass Balance.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Heather. You are a really big geek. I love it.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow. i mean wow. that was more complicated than a csi episode.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Stitch-n-Snitch said…

    Glad I'm not the only knitting nerd around! ;)

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger eliza said…

    the scale I used on my trekking socks was also a mettler mass balance (courtesy of the pharmacy where the Mr. works). don't you just love the perks that come with adorably nerdy men!

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is just the best. And now you KNOW how much yarn you have. You really KNOW.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home