Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Things I'll Never Be Able To Make

Well, one thing, really. Check this out:



That, my friends, is an entire sweater made from qiviut, blended with some silk and some other kind of wool. It belongs to my very fortunate friend Gary, who bought it in Lake Louise, Canada earlier this fall. I've never seen it in person, so I don't know exactly what the fiber mix is, or whether it's hand or machine knit. Gar says it's "ridiculously warm", so warm he had to take it off pretty quickly, and it's softer than his silk suit. Which I don't doubt for a minute.

Maybe, someday, I'll buy a $60 skein of qiviut and make a hat or neck warmer or something, but I know I can never knit something like this. Still, it makes me happy just to know that such a thing does exist, and that a friend owns one. I hope it was handknit, and that the knitter enjoyed every second of working with it.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know what quiviut is but now I want some. It sounds heavenly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home