Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Monday, August 28, 2006

It's the Utahraptor!

And I'm not kidding about the name! Isn't that the coolest?
Did I mention I love Utah?

This pic was taken at the College of Eastern Utah Prehistoric Museum, in Price, UT. The museum was fun for the kid (he's 3 1/2, and so must love dinos) and for the adults. Since having the kid, I can no longer follow my previous museum-going practice of reading every scrap of text on every exhibit, but with three adults along for the trip, I did get to read most of them. My favorite factiod? The museum was started in the 60s by a bunch of local guys who were taking a night class from a professor they really liked at the local college. They wanted to keep at least some of the stuff dug up at the nearby Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry in town, and so they did. It's a fairly impressive collection, especially for such a small community. Groovy, no? All I produced by taking night classes is a college degree. Well, two if you count the AA :-)

My second-favorite factoid: Dinosaur tracks are usually found on the ceilings of tunnels in coal mines. It's true--I've seen the pictures! Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

  • At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wonder how the dinosour tracks got on the ceiling--could it be from flying dinos? Very interesting

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey ya girl if you guys like this you would love the Ogden Dinosaur Museum http://www.dinosaurpark.org/
    We had a blast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home