Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Monday, February 19, 2007

To Blog, or Not To Blog?

After a period of procrastination, I have decided to get off my butt and start blogging again. Blogging makes you a better knitter! And I want to be a better knitter, so am getting off my butt.

Am going to go snap some pictures of stuff I'm working on and get to it, but here's a brief summary:

1) The no-longer thrummed mittens: am still thinking about these. I gave away the orange roving last week, as I'm sure I will not thrum the mittens. I wish the roving a productive life in the hands of another knitter. Am now considering some options. Do I still want to double the yarn, using Opal and Brooks Farm, or do I want to stop that? And I am also considering doing some 2 color Norwegian mittens in style of Eileen. But they would still be orange, as I'm still in love with the orange mitten idea. But I'm also in love with the matching sideways garter stitch scarf idea, so... the mittens are in a holding pattern. Am also considering making some fingerless gloves and matching over-mittens. While I review my options, the mittens are marinating in the pile.

2) Purple Opal Christmas Socks: it's all over but the kitchener! And they're awesome. I finished them the night before last, and immediately started on:

3) Susan's seriatum socks, which are almost done. I used that Patons SWS Soy Wool stuff, color 70530 (pink pink burgundy brown pink pink pink) and I'm not a big fan of this yarn, at least in this application. It's pretty but extra splitty and single plied. It would be great for felting; I bought it to make some Valentine's potholders or similar, but ran out of time. There the yarn was in plain sight when I looked around for something else to do after the purple socks were finished, so I went for it. Impulse project. The pattern is awesome and deserves better than the yarn I'm using for it, but the colors are pretty and the yarn is kind of shiny in a pleasant way. I followed Susan's kitchener instructions, and for the first time I was able to kitchener without looking at the directions and chanting, and I'm actually looking forward to kitchenering the second sock. These will be my "lounging socks", and I'm fully prepared for them to, ah, not have much longevity because of my crap yarn choice. I will be satisfied with the two or three evening's entertainment they've already provided me with. Really I will. Really.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bet the SWS socks are soft. I used that yarn to make a felted gift bag and it shrunk more than any other yarn I've ever used for felting. So be prepared for some gentle hand washing.

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey, yeah, like margene says--it's the process. Right?

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish I had done the Seriatim socks now, but I have been battling with Pomatomus instead. Look forward to seeing the pictures - or maybe in real life. I have missed you all the last couple of weeks but totally intend to be there tomorrow.

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know how you feel! This is the first I've been to any blog in weeks, let alone my own. I vowed not to blog unless I had something to blog about. Now I just need to snap some photos & post. I actually have lots to show!
    Welcome back

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Katherine Of It All said…

    I've missed YOUR gol'dang blog too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home