Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

100 Happy Things

When I'm troubled, I always find it comforting to look for the positive and try to focus on the good things in the world. I'm fully aware (sometimes hyper-aware) that this world holds full measure of tragedy, cruelty, hopelessness, and despair, but there are also millions of wonderful things for us here on earth. Here begins my series of one hundred of them.

1) Learning new things.

I find learning new things enjoyable. I believe this brands me as a bit of a nerd, but I'm fine with that.

One of the great joys of knitting is learning new techniques and skills.

Right now I'm engaged in learning to knit lace. Here is my latest project, the Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl. Isn't it beautiful already? For yarn I'm using the hand-dyed Blood Orange sock yarn Teri gave me for my birthday last year. Every once in a while, I'd take the skein out and admire it, then put it back. I didn't feel confident enough in my skills to do the yarn justice until just last week. I've learned a lot this year, and when the time came to practice some more lace, I knew this was the right yarn to use.

What kinds of things do you enjoy learning about?

7 Comments:

  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger Windybrook Spinner said…

    That yarn is gorgeous! Congrats on acquiring enough courage and knowledge to knit with it. I've heard that the pattern you chose is a great one, so you have good taste as well. I love learning new knitting and hand spinning skills. It's what keeps me going when the only conversation I have all day is "Mom! Look at this trick!" or "Mom! I want some milk!" Thanks for the comment on my blog and it was nice to meet you too.

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I enjoy learning about a few things right now.
    1. soccer drills for 6 year olds
    2. handy yard things, and plants that don't need water are the current infatuation
    3. New things on the internet.(avatar) Takes up way to much of my time and if I stopped maybe I could knit more. But that would require thinking and this is my down time . . . no thinking required

     
  • At 4:43 AM, Blogger margene said…

    Learning new things is one reason I love knitting so much...you can never know it all.

     
  • At 5:54 AM, Blogger Stitch-n-Snitch said…

    Awww, I'm honored that you hold that yarn so high in esteem! Have fun lace-ing it along. :)

     
  • At 6:37 AM, Blogger Cheryl S. said…

    I like learning new techniques, too. That's one thing that always impresses me about people like Susan - always looking for a better or more attractive way to do something.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Alarming Female said…

    I like this idea--sort of a "gratitude journal."

    I love learning new things--I'm really an information junkie. I'm so glad to live in the time of the Internets!

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Katherine Of It All said…

    You have a wonderful way with words. Thanks for sharing yourself with all of us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home