Heather Joins The Round

Because the world needs more knitting blogs.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Finished!


Here's the Minimalist Spring Things--you may recall I ripped the ENTIRE thing out in a fit of craziness and restarted it. Sorry about the crummy picture. It was harder than I thought to photograph.

The stockingette portion is error free now, and what I did of the lace part ended up OK, except I knit the third chart first instead of the second. How could anyone do this without noticing? Quite the bonehead I am sometimes. It was getting down to the wire for my gifting deadline, so I crossed my fingers, worked the edging, and bound off, hoping for the best.

Blocking ROCKS. Next time I'll use those wires I forgot I had. The shawl stretched way out and the points became pointy instead of curly and, best of all, the shawlette isn't impossibly shrimpy as one would expect of a shawl with half the required border. In the end, I'm fine with it. I won't be embarrassed to give it to my husband's Granny when she turns 90 later this week.

I learned an incredible amount from knitting this. I learned to read the chart, I sort of learned how to read my knitting and see most mistakes, I fixed one really weird thing that happened, and I learned that I am at times crazy enough to rip out weeks of work (next time, Heather, put the knitting down and WALK AWAY). I learned that I can, with compromises and sufficient motivation, finish an object in time for a deadline.

Now all I have to do is keep my big, somewhat insecure mouth shut and not point any mistakes out to anyone in at the birthday party. I don't want to ruin the gift for Granny.

The best part is still the dye job, though.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think of it as a "dummy" Spring Things, but as a "minimalist" Spring Things. I think you should be very pleased with it. It's lovely. And, of course, I'm all over the color.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger margene said…

    Celebrate all you've learned! It's beautiful.

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Stitch-n-Snitch said…

    It is so lovely, and we did have the best time dyeing it! :)

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Kara said…

    Yay! It is just lovely. I love the little points!

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Miriam said…

    Way to persevere! It's really pretty and I bet Granny will cherish it :)

    M

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So pretty Heather! She is going to love it.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Cheryl S. said…

    I'm sure it wasn't fun having all those problems, but it's over! It's very pretty and I'm sure Granny will be happy with it.

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    It's great. The real thing was better. Way to finish it. How was Granny and all? C

     

Post a Comment

<< Home